Itinerary 1: Mariemont, Ohio (Computer Station)
This is where Bubba and Squirt start their journey. It’s always a good idea to plan ahead and learn about a place before you visit. Your job at this station is to complete the WebQuest where you’ll learn facts about Belize, Altun Ha, and the ancient Mayan people.
Itinerary 2: Temple of Masonry Altars
The Maya observed the sky to predict solar and lunar eclipses, the cycles of the visible planets, and the movements of the constellations. Using the items your teacher gives you, create your own recognizable constellation.
Itinerary 3: Village of Altun Ha
Belize is a country in Central America. Spanish is one of the languages that is spoken there. Complete the word search and find out what the Spanish words mean.
Itinerary 4: Temple of the Green Tomb
When Bubba falls down the hole, he discovers a tomb full of Mayan pottery. Using clay, fashion your own pottery. Your teacher will give you directions for how to do this. After it dries, you can paint and seal it.
Itinerary 5: Temple A3
Bubba and Squirt discover a codex with Mayan numbers written on it. Mathematics were an important part of everyday life for the Mayan people. They used dots and dashes to represent numbers. Using the guide your teacher provides, see if you can complete the math equations.
Itinerary 6: The Jungle
Bubba meets the Tate Duende who is the guardian of the jungle. Using paper and a pencil, write a short story in which the Tate Duende acts as the protector of animals and plants in the forest.
Text: In Chapter 1 you are introduced to Bubba and Squirt. Task: Describe what kind of person Squirt is, using specific details from the text.
Text: Bubba and Squirt are nervous about being in the creepy maze. Task: Recount an experience you have had of being in a place or situation that made you uncomfortable. Use facts and details to support your story. Speak clearly at an understandable pace.
Text: Bubba describes the place they visit. Task: What words and phrases does he use to give a precise description of Altun Ha?
Text: The archeological site is roped off and tourists are not allowed in the area. Task: Explain why the site is off-limits based on specific information in the text.
Text: Artifacts have been found at Altun Ha. Task: List the various artifacts that have been uncovered using specific details from the text.
Text: Bubba comments that the bones he found are not from a T-rex (large dinosaur). Task: Explain why Bubba would say that.
Text: In chapter seven, there are sensory details about the storm: “rain splatting against my arms,” “sound like a million marbles crashing into the van.” Task: Write a narrative using sensory details of a real or imaginary experience having to do with weather.
Text: Senor Raymundo tells Bubba and Squirt about the Tate Duende. Task: Conduct a short research project on the Tate Duende. Find out when the legend originated
Discussion question: Do you believe goblins or other supernatural creatures guard places or things? Why or why not?
Text: Bubba begins to run from the Tate Duende then realizes he needs to face his problems and not run. Task: Recount an experience when you or someone you know tried to run from a problem. What ultimately happened. Use facts and descriptive details to support your story.
Text: The Tate Duende communicates without speaking a word. Task: List ways he does this.
Discussion question: Have you ever communicated without speaking? Describe the experience.
Text: Bubba said the dirt tasted like burnt hamburgers. Task: Use a simile to describe the way something looks, tastes, feels, or sounds.
Text: Bubba finds a codex. There are only four in the world. Task: Conduct a short research project and find out the names of each of the four codices.
Text: Bubba runs some more. Task: Compare and contrast the two running scenes in the book (chapter 9 and chapter 13).
Text: The thief took bold action to attempt to steal the codex. Task: Explain why the codex is considered valuable.
Text: Before Bubba and Squirt leave, they have a fiesta. Task: Write your own story of a celebration, real or imagined. You can even create your own version of Bubba and Squirt’s fiesta.
Text: At the end of the story, Bubba and Squirt comment about something they learned from the experience. Task: Determine the theme of this story based on details from the text. Task: Write an explanatory essay supporting what you think the theme of the story is, using facts, details, and other information from the book.
Questions for groups after reading:
Directions: In the book Bubba and Squirt’s Mayan Adventure, Bubba and Squirt visit Altun Ha in Belize. To learn more about the country and other things related to the story, use the Internet to answer the following questions.
1. Grandpa Joe told Bubba and Squirt about workers who tried to build a bridge in Cancun, Mexico. When it kept collapsing, they decided to build a house for the alux they believed lived there. When was the house built? Visit https://xyuandbeyond.com/mayan-legend-/ to find out. And while you are there, look at the cute house.
2. If you visit a country, it’s a good idea to know when the best time of year is to visit. That way it’s not too hot, too cold, or too rainy. When is the best time to visit Belize? Visit https://travel.usnews.com/Belize/When_To_Visit/ to find out.
3. Bubba and Squirt arrive at Altun Ha by traveling through a portal. If they had to pay to visit like regular tourists, how much would each of their tickets cost? Visit https://nichbelize.org/institute-of-archaeology/archaelological-sites-and-parks/altun-ha/ to find out.
4. How high is the Temple of Masonry Altars, the tallest pyramid at Altun Ha? Go here to find out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altun_Ha
5. Señor Raymundo mentioned seeing a ghost at the ruins of Xunatunich. What city is that in? Go here to find out: https://diytravelhq.com/xunantunich-san-ignacio/.
6. Esperanza pointed out that howler monkeys make a lot of noise before storms come, and Señor Raymundo found an injured spider monkey. How many kinds of monkeys are in Belize? Visit this site to find out: https://www.northernbelize.com/wildlife.html. If you’d like to see what they look like, go here: https://www.islandexpeditions.com/belizevacations-blog/meet-8-unique-wildlife-belize.
7. Many artifacts have been discovered at Altun Ha, including a ten-pound jade head of the Mayan sun god, Kinich Ahua. Where was it found? Go here to find out: https://uncoveredhistory.com/belize/altun-ha/. And while you are there, take a look at this Mayan masterpiece.
8. Bubba discovers an important treasure – a Mayan codex. There are only 4 in the world. Each one has a name. What are their names? Go here to find out: https://www.thoughtco.com/maya-books-overview-2136169.
9. When Bubba and Squirt arrived at Altun Ha, they discovered it was in ruins. At what time in history were the great cities of the ancient Mayan civilization abandoned? (Period and years). Go here to find out: https://www.ancient.eu/Maya_Civilization/
10. The ancient Mayan people developed their own calendar based on cycles of the moon. How many months were in the Mayan calendar year? Go here to find out: http://www.websexhibits.org/calendars/calendar-mayan.html
Why do you think the bridge in Cancun kept collapsing? Do you believe an alux had something to do with it? Why or why not?
Have you ever had to find your way out of a dark place? If so, describe your experience.
Bubba and Squirt arrive at the ruins of an ancient civilization and discover the buildings are busted. What could make buildings fall apart over time?
Why do archaeologists not want tourists around their excavation sites?
Bubba and Squirt learn that artifacts are being stolen. Why would anyone want to steal old things? Have you ever tried to find dinosaur bones, fossils, or dig for treasure? If so, did you find anything?
Have you ever seen arrowheads or other Native American tools? How were they made? What materials would you use to make cutting tools or eating cookware if you didn’t have today’s convenient utensils?
Bubba and Squirt experienced severe thunderstorm. Have you ever experienced severe weather? If so, what happened during it?
When the van got stuck in the mud, Squirt had the idea to put floor mats under the tires. How would that help get a vehicle unstuck?
Have you ever tried to run from your problems? Did it work? How should you deal with problems when they come along?
Do you believe you can accomplish anything you put your mind to? Why or why not?
Bubba literally fell into a great discovery. Have you ever discovered something unexpectedly or by accident? If so, explain.
Ancient Mayan people had interesting fashion ideas – like drilling stones into their teeth and flattening their foreheads with wooden boards. What do you think of these fashions? Name some fashion trends today. What do you think of them?
Were you surprised when you learned who the thief was? Why or why not?
Do you think interdimensional travel through a wormhole is possible? Why or why not?
Everyone has a fiesta to celebrate the success of catching the thief and discovering the Mayan treasure. It includes music and good food. Describe a celebration or party you have had.
Have you ever formed an opinion about someone and later discovered it was wrong? If so, describe that experience. What, if anything, did you learn from it?